Home Chapter

One week from today (hopefully) I will be a homeowner. Yup, you read right. A 23 year old home owner. It's all very exciting (and a bit terrifying). We are buying furniture, fencing, a lawn mower, scheduling movers, and getting insurance and lender emails daily. Who knew buying a home meant signing your life away? 
I wanted to write this post so that I have something to look back on when I do settle in and begin my more "stable" journey. 
Let's start with how we got here. Fran and I lost our roommate 2 months back and we had to pick up another 1/3 of the bills. Realizing that renting was fairly expensive, we decided that when our lease was up that we would look for a cheaper option that still allowed us to live how we wanted. 
We looked into building a tiny home. I love the idea of a minimalist lifestyle with less time wasted on cleaning. I also took pleasure in the idea of actually owning something on this great big Earth that would actually be mine. We looked at builders who wanted $60,000 for 400 sq ft. Then we looked for land, which deemed impossible. Land was WAY expensive and needed to be cleared and/or had no water or electricity. So, $60,000 became $200,000 fairly quickly. 
Then we considered buying an RV and living in an RV park..... Yep. We even spent an afternoon touring RVs and fifth wheels. The idea of $300 per month in rent was appealing. But then we would need to buy a truck and more insurance. And let's face it, no wifi or consistent hot water is a killer. RV =$40,000 Truck= $30,000 plus rent and utilities each month was still money wasted. But,
I knew I wanted small and affordable. 


Then, there it was in all it's little white glory on Trulia.  It had been listed for 1 day and I immediately texted my realtor. I went and saw it a couple days later. I walked in and fell in love. The price was a bit daunting, as well as the three acres and I left feeling like "I couldn't have this." I didn't sleep even an hour that night. Maybe not even 30 minutes. All I could think about was the 1100 sqft farm house on 3 acres of perfect earth. I couldn't shake the obvious push. I spent the weekend with my family and put in an offer 4 days later. They countered and I accepted. I was approved for the loan. The inspection passed with flying colors. The appraisal was spot on. The taxes were less than normal. And it all has happened in less than a month. I truly feel that when things fall into place so easily that it is what is meant to be.  
So now I'm dreaming about my little house and feel overwhelmingly anxious to get my hands on it. I picture myself, Fran, Molly (and maybe a new four legged fur child soon) on that little farm. I see myself grading papers on the front porch with hot tea in fall overlooking the cows across the street. I have had visions baking with an apron and a record player in the distance playing James Bay. 
We have a lot of dreams. Fran wants to grow with his job at the gym and I'm feeling the push to teach. And having a place to come home to after failing and accomplishing check points in life feels necessary and real. We've discussed a hot tub, a work-out room, a screened in porch, and even a place on the lot for my mom. I feel like you're doing life right when you have dreams. Here's to the next chapter of adulthood. Ready, set, GO



No comments