Mindful Reminder

My job requires a lot of human interaction with a lot of different humans. Most are forgotten among the new, but few will stay with me. Today I had the honor of meeting a middle-aged couple, Lee and her husband Mike.  I went to greet the couple like I had 12 other times this week. As soon as I approached I noticed that Mike had cords leading from under his hat and into the backpack sitting on the floor beside him. I shook their hands and asked how they were today. Lee responded, "any day that we have air in our lungs is a good day." 
Mike had terminal brain cancer. He was diagnosed in January and was given only three months to live with his wife and two sons. He had beaten the odds, with it being July. It wasn't the cancer that made me so drawn to this couple, it was their new outlook on life. 
I have always found it fascinating to ask questions to people who had a real reason to reflect on life. After learning the details of his cancer, I began to dig on their current mindsets. I asked if they had learned anything from their experience since January and if they had any regrets. 
As it turned out, Mike had plenty of regrets. He spoke of his pre-cancer life as being filled with long work hours and lack of quality. "It shouldn't be about how big your house is or how much money you have in savings, because you can't take anything with you and it doesn't truly matter." His wife had begged for his attention and time away from work in the past and he could not see the value until it was so close to being taken away. The had become closer than ever because of the cancer. They had plans to revisit Arizona, where they first fell in love with ditching the norm and focusing on family.

Mike knew he would never be able to see his sons drive or graduate. He accepted that his wife's birthday celebration would probably be his last and that he would never see himself turn 50. But he refused to be negative or sad about the unfair and heartbreaking circumstance. 
These people made me so grateful for the full life that I have before me. I should not be stressing about work, or having the yard mowed, or even having a large sum of savings. Nothing of that substance will matter when we stare death in the face. It's the  experiences and memories that we create with the ones we love. That's all. The next time you find yourself complaining and griping, stop, and think about how much worse it could truly be. I pray that I will forever remember these two and the lesson the taught me. Do not wait until there is no time to make time.

No comments